The Sports Science Institute of SA has created three training programmes for joBerg2c to help you prepare for 9 days on the saddle.
We are going to follow this programme for our dry run to hopefully get into proper shape.
You need to start now – it is a 16 week programme with beginners, moderate and advanced options.
Naturally, you might also be of the non-scientific kind so then we suggest you just ride lots and lots and make sure every ride is fun and you will probably also be ok.
If you would like a more personal approach then we also have our training guru Gavin Horton – Coach Gavin. While Coach Gavin is based in Johannesburg his knowledge and tailored programme with regular skype/email correspondence could be invaluable if you are a little uncertain about being in shape for the event.
The training program will include the following aspects:
- Personalised training programme – the programmes will be designed according to the rider specific needs and will take into consideration factors such as available time, personal goals and ability
- Multi-dimensional program – you get a programme that focusses not just on riding but on strength, power and endurance
- Weekly feedback – you will be in contact with their coach weekly to get feedback on the previous weeks training, which allows for program adjustments where the need may arise
- Flexible program – you ill get a program that is flexible and accommodates illness, injury and unexpected breaks in training
- Recommended routes – you will be advised on recommended race specific training routes in their area
- General tips – you will get advice on topics such as nutrition, recovery and injury prevention, bike maintenance and on-the trail repairs.
R700 per 4 week block
1. Rider assessment (once off R950)
- Gym based strength assessment
- Power bike assessment
- Outdoor ride assessment
2. Supervised sessions
- Gym based strength sessions (R250 per session)
- Power bike sessions (R120 per session)
Email Coach Gavin on firstname.lastname@example.org